Now that you’ve said “yes” to spending the rest of your life with that one special person, you might start to feel overwhelmed! There is a lot of planning to do, but don’t worry, that’s why you’ve picked your Maid or Matron of Honor. She’s going to be by your side each step of the way, from from picking out your dress, to making sure you get the rest of your cake at the end of your reception. There are definitely a lot of steps involved in a wedding, so we broke the Maid of Honor’s duties down into this simple list:
Pre- Wedding Day
- Check out different venues with the bride (if needed). Sometimes both the bride and groom can’t be there at the same time so it’s helpful if you can offer your input!
- Work with the bride on her save the dates (if applicable) and wedding invitations.
- Go with the bride to shop for the wedding and bridesmaids dresses of course! You want to make sure everyone looks their absolute best! Also, you want to make sure this gets done EARLY. There needs to be enough time for alterations.
- Plan the bridal shower and bachelorette party (if the bride is into that).
- Attend different bridal shows to help get ideas for the wedding. Make sure to check out our NJ Rock The Aisle Bridal Shows!
- Help keep order amongst the bridesmaids. We know that there is a lot going on, so try to help keep the peace if tension rises.
- Attend the rehearsal dinner and make last minute reminders!
- Lastly, reach out to the bride and ask what she needs help with! This is just a minor list compared to all the planning the bride will be doing. Some brides may want more help, and others will want less.
- Make sure the bride arrives and is (hopefully) on time!
- Help out with makeup and getting her into her dress. If there are young children in the bridal party, help them as well.
- If the bride needs to send any last minute messages to her family or groom, you will be the messenger.
- Keep tissues on you in case the bride needs them when she’s at the altar.
- You will be the one to take her bouquet during the ceremony.
- Try to get to the reception before everyone else to make sure everything is set-up and going as planned.
- Keep an eye on the bride to make sure she looks great at all times! If her veil is tilted or there’s a smudge in her makeup, help her out.
- Finally, we know it’s been a long day, but definitely try to have some fun!!